Sunday, September 25, 2011

Soot Stamping Gently Falling

This card doesn't seem all that exciting until you know how it was made.  It is colored soot stamping and involves, glossy cardstock, a brayer and a candle!



Start by brayering color over white glossy cardstock. 


Hold the cardstock directly over the flame of the candle being careful not to catch the edges on fire.  I used an especially sooty candle for best results. 

After you have covered the cardstock with soot, use your clean stamp to stamp directly onto the soot.  This will lift soot off of the cardstock to reveal the color below.  Spray with an acrylic sealer (I used hairspray - an acrylic sealer probably works better, but I don't have acrylic sealer and have plenty of hairspray :-) to keep soot from rubbing off. 

I stamped on the Cherry Cobbler with the outline stamp in StazOn before I sprayed.  Since it was such a dark color, I thought it needed to be done to make the leaves stand out. 


This is what the soot looks like on plain white glossy cardstock without the colored layer.  Great for Halloween cards!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this tutorial! I've been wondering how to do this technique. I'd love to have you demo it at an upcoming Springfield meeting if you're up to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you stamp over top of the spray with stazon or something to get the black leaves to stand out better?? LOVE THIS! Can't wait to demo this one!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Pin It button on image hover